Vattenfall is one of Europe’s largest electricity generators and producer of heat and operates in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. Our strategy is to reduce emissions from power generation with a road map to achieving climate neutrality by 2050.
Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position of a Service Technician to join the Onshore O&M team, part of the Business Area Wind. This role will focus upon the Swinford Wind Farm (11 x Vestas V90 2MW WTGs) in Leicestershire (near Rugby) but also have secondary / broader responsibilities across Vattenfall’s Onshore Wind portfolio in UK.
Overall purpose of the role
On a usual day to day basis, this Vattenfall Service Technician role will work alongside the Third Party O&M Service Provider in a mixed team (two service technicians, one from Vattenfall and one from the Third Party O&M Service Provider) to help maintain the Swinford Wind Farm’s operational & technical performance through scheduled and unscheduled work in line with maintenance requirements. Together with the Third Party you will be responsible for safely optimising the daily production of the Swinford wind farm. When possible, you will support Vattenfall’s other sites in the south of UK including the Pendine wind farm (6 x Enercon E48’s), Parc Cynog wind farm (5 x NEG Micon 750’s), Parc Cynog solar farm (5MW) in Carmarthenshire, Wales and work closely with the Pen Y Cymoedd site team (76 x Siemens 3DD WTGs) near Treorchy.
Your responsibilities as a Service Technician:
- Together with the Third Party control all activities on Swinford Wind Farm through the implementation of rigorous and documented processes
- Initially, you will be sub-contracted to the Third Party O&M Service Provider (on a similar basis to the Third Party’s own technicians) you will climb wind turbines, be responsible for diagnosis of faults, managing the technical resolution of equipment failures and performance of plant
- Support the performance reporting that provides key performance indicators - ensure the relevant daily, weekly, monthly reporting deadlines are met
- Support with facilities management and site administrative activities as required
- Work to agreed targets and Swinford Wind Farm’s KPI’s
- Execute work on site in accordance with WTSR and Electrical Safety rules, achieve the relevant authorisations and comply with contractual obligations and site rules/regulations
- Support implementation of common procedures, HSE (according to Vattenfall standards and UK legislation), development of new operational processes and systems
- The Employer’s technician shall work in a pattern within normal working hours (06:00-19:00) covering seven (7) days per week. Includes sharing an on call rota for weekends and some general flexibility is required e.g. provide out of hours and response in accordance with the Swinford Wind Farm’s Emergency Response Plan
- Maintain maintenance records, service manuals and procedures in the Vattenfall and/or the Third Party’s Document Management System (e.g. AWPs, Method statements, etc) to support full historical traceability of service work carried out
- Whenever possible support the O&M Manager for Vattenfall’s Southern sites in UK across the broader UK portfolio and work closely with Pen Y Cymoedd site team in Wales
Your qualifications as a Service Technician:
- A strong practical background and/or technical qualification in electrical and/or mechanical installation and maintenance disciplines to NVQ3 level (or have completed an equivalent Engineering Apprenticeship)
- It is essential that you will have technical work experience in a relevant industry. Technical knowledge of wind farm layouts and past experience of working with Vestas V90 2MW turbines will be advantageous but not essential as training will be offered for the right candidate
- Over time, further training may be offered to achieve more advanced levels of servicing, fault finding etc
- Ability to lead and/or work within multi-cultural and interdisciplinary teams
- Be results-oriented, able to meet tight deadlines and produce concise information for senior management
- Ability to work at heights in wind turbine generators (in accordance with RUK/GWO requirements) and in adverse weather conditions
- Experience of HSE requirements and industry best practice
- Full and valid driving license
- It is preferred that you live within a 60 minute commute to the Site (in Leicestershire, near Rugby)
but some flexibility can be offered. If you are willing to relocate from your current address please indicate this on your CV or cover letter
- Willingness to travel within the EU for training purposes
- A flexible attitude towards working hours
- Interest in outdoors work
- Given the vital importance of safety when working on the Wind Farm, it is expected that the technician will have a mature and responsible attitude, and demonstrate the ability to work under pressure. Furthermore, it is important that the technician is fit for physical work and is mentally prepared for accessing transition pieces and for climbing vertical ladder sections.
Good remuneration, a challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary teams and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal and professional development.
The location is based at Swinford Wind Farm in Leicestershire (or within commuting distance to Swinford). Some flexibility is required with up to 35% travelling to Vattenfall’s other wind farm sites / offices / contractor’s offices within the UK and Europe.
For more information about the position or the recruitment process you are welcome to contact Kay van Emstede, Recruiter, phone +31615604138.
We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the application button at this page. Last day to apply is September 18th 2017.
Energy is our contribution to quality of life – day after day. With around 20,000 colleagues Vattenfall provides comprehensive electricity and heating offerings to several million customers in northern Europe. For the work ahead we need people who are fully dedicated to our customers and to a
sustainable society – people like you.
Business Area Wind is responsible for Vattenfall’s Onshore and Offshore Wind as well as other non-hydro Renewable activities like solar PV and batteries. Today we develop, construct and operate wind generation in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. In addition, we have a clear strategy to develop our solar PV and battery operations further.
We look forward to your application!