Improved efficiency leads to lower costs per produced kWh of electricity and thereby improves Vattenfall’s competitiveness while at the same time resulting in lower emissions per kWh of generation.
Lower costs and improve competitiveness through more efficient use of resources.
- Reduce use of primary energy by 1,000 GWh cumulatively between 2016 and 2020.
- Example of regional or local targets:
– Phase out all hazardous chemicals in the Nordic market, where technically feasible, by 2020.
Example of achievements 2016
The increase in annual energy savings – 330 GWh – consisted mainly of measures such as upgrades of nuclear and hydro power plants and by exchanging local boilers with district heating.
Energy efficiency improvement
Challenges we have
- Develop and adopt Group-wide targets that are relevant for both the environment and the business.
- Find less environmentally harmful alternatives to replace hazardous chemicals without jeopardising safety and functionality.
Our planned activities
Work on improving efficiency in Vattenfall’s use of resources will continue. Methods will be developed for using ash in accordance with the waste hierarchy principles. Handling of radioactive waste will continue in a responsible manner. A study of water use will be conducted to identify potential improvements in the German and Dutch operations.